The submission & early bird registration deadlines extended
More than 300 submissions from more than 45 countries have already been submitted to the 11th World Environmental Education Congress (14-18 March 2022 in Prague)! The keynote speeches, cross-cutting dialogues, webinars, and panels form a basis for a rich and inspiring program.
At the same time, we know that many people still struggle with the uncertainty of the COVID situation in their countries and need more time planning. In light of this, we have decided to postpone the upcoming deadlines: early bird registration to October 1st and abstract submission to November 30th. We hope that more time makes congress more available for the world environmental and sustainability education community. We are looking forward to seeing you!
On behalf of the organizing team,
Register with confidence!
Not sure you will be able to travel abroad? The 11th WEEC may be the first opportunity to meet face to face with our community after two COVID years. As we believe, these are the face-to-face meetings that build future partnerships and give us energy for our work. However, while the situation in the Czech Republic has returned to normal, many parts of the world still struggle with the pandemic. We understand the uncertainty and hesitating: may I afford to register onsite? Could online participation be the safer choice?
In light of this, we allow an opportunity to flexibly change the form of registration from onsite to online (and vice versa) by the end of December 2021. What does it mean? If you are not sure about coming to Prague, you may still register for the onsite participation and submit one of the onsite forms of presentation now. In December 2021, you may change your registration from the onsite to online (or from online to onsite) form. This change could be done only one time and in the mentioned period. After this, you will automatically receive the surplus (for the change from onsite to online) or asked to pay the difference in the registration fee (for the change from online to onsite). All the prices will be calculated from the amount valid at the time of your first registration.
In addition, you can change the format of your presentation (oral presentation / Pecha Kucha / Poster) from the online to the onsite form (and vice versa) by the end of November 2021. After this date, this change will not be possible. However, you can still change the format of your participation by the date mentioned above (as a result, you can decide in December to arrive in Prague, but you will have your presentation online).
We hope this opportunity helps you in your decision. In case of any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
We are looking forward to meeting you – either in Prague or at our virtual platform.
Your organizing team
The 11th World Environmental Education Congress: On-Site and On-Line
For the first time in its history, the World Environmental Education Congress (WEEC) is offering an opportunity to also participate in the online environment. The reasons are obvious: the difficult pandemic situation shifted most of the environmental and sustainability education (ESE) events to cyberspace in 2020, and while it is reasonable to expect that the situation will improve in the first half of 2021, the on-line alternative seems to have become a new standard. In light of this, we have decided to offer an on-line option for those who cannot come to Prague.
- On-site participation is full participation. Participants who choose on-site participation get a full version of the congress. In addition to the plenary and parallel sessions, it also means participation in the field sessions and field trips. Moreover, they will have full access to all parts of the online platform, so they can access the congress materials a long time before and after the congress dates.
- On-site participation supports networking. Most of the congress time is organized in smaller thematic groups to promote meeting and networking with participants with the same interests. If you are interested in meeting new people, in-depth discussion, and starting new cooperation, then the on-site option is better for you.
- On-site participation is place-based and experiential. Field sessions and field trips are an important part of the congress. If you want to imagine how to link a place with the practice of environmental and sustainability education, if you want to enjoy informal chatting with people from environmental education centres, to get direct experience, then you should come to Prague.
- Both on-site and on-line are safe. Based on the experts, the pandemic situation should be resolved by the middle of 2020, when the vaccination is supposed to be in wide use throughout the population. We hope that lock-downs and travel restrictions will be a distant memory by the end of this year. Nevertheless, we will adopt strict precautions to make the congress as safe as possible.
- On-line participation is more convenient, less expensive, and environmentally-friendly. Despite its clear disadvantages, on-line participation will bring you the meaningful option of participating from your home, with no travel costs and a small discount. While we have adopted a set of measures to minimize the environmental impact of the congress (we will be supplied with organic food from local sources, we will be almost paper-less, and we will offer a CO2 offset), it is clear that not to come always has less environmental impact than to come. Please, consider your reasons for participation: if you just want a basic picture of the trends in the research and practice of ESE, if you are not pursuing new professional contacts, if you have a limited budget or live far from Prague, perhaps this option is better for you.
On-site and On-line in brief:
Notice: If you participate on-site, you will get full access to the on-line platform too. If you participate on-line, you have full access to the on-line platform.
|Prague and surroundings||On-line platform|
|Plenary session||14 and 16 March 2022||Streamed and then available|
|Parallel sessions – on-site presentations||15 – 16 March 2022||Recorded and then available|
|Cross-cutting discussions||15-16 March 2022||Recorded and then available|
|Youth Congress||14-16 March 2022||Recorded and then available|
|Parallel sessions – on-line presentations||Not presented||Uploaded and then available|
|Discussion forum||Not presented||Available in 10/2021-12/2022|
|Exhibition, NGO Forum||14-16 March 2022||Not available|
|Field sessions||17-18 March 2022||Not available|
|Field trips||17-18 March 2022||Not available|
|Side events (EcoFilm, workshops, and other events)||15-18 March 2022||Not available|
If you need more information, do not hesitate to contact us!
For the local organizational team,
David Sobel (Antioch University), academic and educator, the author of world-known books like “Childhood and Nature: Design Principles for Educators” or “Place-Based Education”, has accepted our invitation for WEEC. In his speech “Why 21st Century Children Need Nature”, he will review some of the research on why nature is good for children and will provide examples of how families, schools, and communities are re-introducing children to the natural world.